When I was preggo with Mia I was considering going cloth, but I just though it was too difficult, too much money, too much time, but one of my New Year's resolutions is to find a way to use my money wisely, so I started browsing around and learning about them. There are so many people that loves them, and that says that they are as easy as a disposable, so I cant loose anything from trying them out (just a bit of money, but oh well).

Let's just go by the numbers.... Each package of diapers cost us the equivalent of US$52.12 (the same package goes for US$29.99 on Toys R Us in the states). The package for Mimi comes with 144 diapers, and the package for Mia comes with 112. As Mia is using around 7 diapers a day, it means that the box is over in 16 days, and Mimi is using around 9 diapers a day, which means her box is also over in 16 days.... That means that I spend US$104.24 every 16 days just on diapers, that's US$200 a month on diapers, plus a few more that I have to buy to Gaby sometimes. That means that in 2008 alone, I will spend over US$2000 just on diapers!! Then it goes the wipes!! I pay $11.95 for a pack of 160 wipes!!! (yes, I know, OUCH).

If you are interested as well, the first thing to know is that there are 4 types of diapers:
- Prefolds (the ones that our parents used) with a cover
- Fitted - Also with a cover
- Pocket - With an insert
- All in ones (AIO) - All sew together, and it's like a disposable but in cloth

There are also brands that have several sizes as the disposables (XS=1, S=2, M=3, L=4, XL=5) but there are some that have one size that fits babies from 8 to 35 pounds.

Im going to try the pocket ones. I ordered a 3 pack of BumGenius in One-Size, and one Fuzzi Bunz in size Medium. The medium goes from 15 to 30 pounds and both girls are in that weight range. A girl on a Cloth Diapering board was telling me that some kids use that size all the way until Potty Trainning.

The BumGenius have great reviews everywhere, and as they just got a new improved version 3.0, the version 2.0 is on sale.... Here is a picture of these ones:
Photobucket
Photobucket

The Fuzzi Bunz also have great reviews:
Photobucket
Photobucket

Now I CANT wait to try them out. I know this may get addictive but they have a pretty good resale price if I take good care of them.

I wont even tell my mom until I try them out, because this kind of cloth diapering is unknown in this country. If I tell somebody about cloth diapering they will automatically will think about prefolds, poo in the diapers, and babies soaked in pee.

I will sure make an update about this.
Posted by Anelys Perez On 12:12 AM 2 comments

2 Lovely comments :

cul-ture-queen said...

Yes, please keep us updated. I wanted to try them with Laila, but didn't. If I ever have any more I will try with them.

Mom to 3 Little Flowers said...

Nicole: I will keep blogging my cloth diapering progress!!

 

We buy most of the things online, so I have wishlists to have in one place everything that we are planning (or at least hoping) to buy.

Blog Archive

Follow us by Email

We were featured at

Our Awards

Awarded by Sara: Photobucket Awarded by Nicole and Erica: Photobucket Awarded by Denai: Photobucket Awarded by Kelly: Photobucket Awarded by Ali and Breanna: Honest Scrap Awarded by Andrea & Meaghan: Friends

Awarded by Priscila Photobucket